Have you installed Windows 10 and noticed that your system is booting slow? You are not alone. A lot of users have reported Windows 10 slow boot problem. Slow boot issue has been a perennial problem for the Windows users in almost all the Windows OS versions. All we want is a system which could boot fast, but our simple wish seems far from reality up till now. Apple clearly dwarfs Windows platform in this area; Apple users don’t have to wait for the boot process. But you don’t have to worry anymore because with some simple tips and tricks listed in this article, you can fix Windows 10 slow boot problem. You can make Windows 10 boot faster by applying the steps mentioned below. Remember that the overall performance largely depends upon the specs of your computer, the hard drive technology, RAM and other system aspects. But this article will target the general, software related aspect of Windows 10 in order to solve the slow boot problem. Let’s get started.
Fix Windows 10 Slow Boot Problems: Make Windows 10 Boot Fast
Tweak Startup Programs
Perhaps the primary culprit behind Windows 10 slow boot problem is the startup program queue. We install apps, software and programs in our PCs. Most of them have built-in settings, which force-start them as soon as we boot our computers. Now, as long as all the startup programs aren’t loaded, the boot process will not get completed, ultimately slowing down your system. You must remove all the unnecessary startup programs from the boot order in the startup manager of Windows 10. Only those programs should be allowed in the startup process which have to deal with computer’s basic services, security, resolution and basic operations. I would suggest removing all the third party software from the startup manager. This would not affect any of your operations. You can always open and launch the programs manually.
- Right click on the task bar and click Task Manager. You can also press CTRL+Shift+Esc key combination to open the task manager.
- You will see a list of running programs. Ignore it and click “More Details”.
- Now click the “Startup” tab as shown in the image below.
You will see a list of programs. In the left most column, the name of those programs and apps are written which are loaded when you boot your system. You can see the “impact” of this program on the startup speed in the “startup impact” column. In my case, the program utorrent is killing the speed of by startup process. If I remove this from the startup queue, I could easily fix Windows 10 slow boot problem. So let’s do this.
- Right click on the program you want to remove from the startup process and click “Disable”.
Disabling means that this program will no longer be loaded when you turn your machine ON. Instead, you will have to manually start this software. You can disable all those programs which do not need to be loaded at the startup. Services like battery management, light control, system files, antivirus, Skype should not be disabled in most of the cases.
Change How Your System is Shutdown
One of the best ways to fix Windows 10 slow boot problem is to create a manual shutdown service. Strange as it may seem but Windows 10 has a real startup order problem. You will notice that when you shutdown the system and reboot normally, the reboot time will be much larger. On the other hand, shutting down using the manual services quells reboot time.
- Go to control panel in Windows 10.
- Go to “Choose what power buttons do” section.
- Scroll down and make sure that the “Turn on fast startup” option is enabled as shown in the image.
- Now come back to the desktop and make a new “Shortcut”.
- Type “%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -hybrid -f -t 00” in the location and save it with any name like “quick shutdown” or “manual shutdown”. It’s your choice.
- Now, always use this shortcut to shutdown your computer. You will notice that this would fix Windows 10 slow boot problem.
- Another way to make the Windows 10 boot process fast is to change the settings of services.
- Restart your computer.
- Open Run and type “services.msc” and hit Enter.
- Now notice which services are taking more time to launch. You can right click on the services, open them, and change their setting from default to delayed start. Save the settings and reboot your computer.
After following the above methods, you will be able to fix Windows 10 slow boot problem. Your computer will boot, restart a lot faster than before.